The Kaiko wrist & finger spikey set is discreet to wear & use. They are primarily used as a harm minimisation tools that provides 'hurt without harm' or for those that benefit from deep, focused pressure to assist with regulation and respond well to high sensory input. It is important to watch the video to see the various ways to use these items to achieve the 'ouch' factor.
This set contains a
- BLACK wrist spikey
- BLACK a standard finger spikey & a
- BLACK TIGHTER finger spikey.
"Discreet enough that it looks like a scrunchy or bracelet, it makes it easy to wear to work. I am finding it super helpful during the day for a deeper sensory input, and it has reduced my skin picking when at work. Love it! Isabella K Aug 2023"
"These spikeys are amazing and I wish they had been invented decades ago Elizabeth S Sept 2023"
It's helpful to watch the video here on ways to use so you/they understand how to achieve what you/they need in terms of 'ouch' 😊
We find the most effective for harm minimisation is the least obvious often. Aslo see below for information re selection the best size for all day wear.
The Kaiko Spikey range help with self-regulation, calming, focus, concentration, tactile awareness and as a substitution for unhealthy/unhelpful behaviours. We have also had a number of customers report it being helpful in reducing pain & disturbed sensation in arms and muscles. Also touted to have remedial benefit, stimulating acupressure points & assisting with circulation. Please consult your treating clinician regarding specific use for your specific condition.
These are stretchy but firm. They are made of a black powder coated carbon steel metal that is 'woven' to be stretchy and flexible (see care instructions below). See below for a guide re size selection.
Please let us know in the notes section of the cart page if you would like different colours swapped in. PLEASE NOTE that not all finger spikey colours are availbale in the tighter style so please refer the product pages before deciding on colour to ensure its actually available. Wrist spikeys also come in teal and purple, however only in a few sizes. Again check the product pages to check if it comes in the size you are after before adding note to cart.
"Perfect for my older kid to help them avoid picking at their fingers or pulling on their hair. Works a treat. Coralie July 2023"
Some ways to use the wrist & finger spikey...
- Roll up & down the arm
- Rub between two palms
- Hold in one or two hands to fidget
- Wear on wrist & flick
- Place on wrist & twist around (similar to a 'Chinese burn') applying varying degrees of pressure dependent on preference. This technique has been particularly helpful for some in minimising self harm. It can provide the 'hurt' without the harm to the skin. Of course, the spikey fidget does not replace accessing professional help. It is a useful tool for the kit bag.
- Rub it on parts of body to replace picking, such as lips
- Roll up & down the finger. It can be rolled using the same hand or alternate hand. This is great for focus.
- Place on one finger at the base (middle finger often best) & squeeze/clench fist. This is, for most, the way they use it for harm minimisation.
- Rub between two palms for a scratchy feel.
- Hold in one or two hands to fidget.
- Place on finger & twist around using thumb (similar to a 'Chinese burn') applying varying degrees of pressure-dependent on preference. This technique has been particularly helpful for some in minimising self-harm. It can provide the 'hurt' without harm to the skin. Of course, the spikey fidget does not replace accessing professional help. It is a useful tool for the kit-bag.
- Place on middle of pointer finger and 'pick' at it from the side with thumb nail- great to replace picking.
- Hold in one or two hands to fidget.
"The Kaiko Finger Spikey is amazing. I'm prone to anxious picky at my nails, fingers, hands, and lip and this has been a great fidget to distract me from this and also replace the sensory seeking due to the pain element and feedback on my skin. I love that I don't end up with broken skin and it is finally giving my nails a chance to grow back properly. Stellar job guys! Sarah M July 2023"
How do I SELECT the Right SIZE?
Kaiko Spikey for wrist comes in 6 sizes.
If wanting to wear it all day we recommend for most (youth & adults) that the XL be purchased. If wrist is tiny then the Large, if small/medium size then Large 'plus a bit'. More details below.
The sizing selected for the wrist spikey is very personal. Many of those that have tried it and find it helpful end up getting a range of sizes to use in different contexts/situations.
At first glance, it’s easy to assume sizing selection is best based on size of wrist or age of person using it. This is certainly one contributing factor, however over time its become clear that is isn't the only thing to consider.
Its so important especially with the wrist spikey to select best size for purpose.
The wrist spikey is used in used 2 main ways –
1. for high sensory input rolled up and down arm -The small & medium are great for strong input, but generally not comfortable to wear all day, more a 'use as required and then store away' size. The smaller, the more sensory input it provides when rolled.
2. for harm minimisation /high input when distressed (twisted and pressed into wrist buy other hand in the moment of need) – for this you want the product to be wearable and literally on hand as needed.
To wear it all day you want it to not band or create restriction. When using it in this way the size isn’t what delivers the high input, it’s the pressure on twisting that does. SO a comfortable wearing sizes is what you're best to select.
For very small wrists the large is good but for your average child to adult it’s the Large 'plus a bit' or the XL that is best. The XXL for larger/chunky wrists or for use on ankles.
So essentially - if twisting it around wrist the same amount of input can be achieved using any of the sizes. It is the pressure from the other hand that creates the degree of "ouch".
If unsure, we are happy to chat regarding re your specific needs if that would be helpful.
The unstretched lengths of each if they were undone (so internal circumference) are:
SMALL: 12.5 cm length - super intense for adults or for tiny child wrists.
MEDIUM: 14.5cm length - this is a great size for intense input for adult wrists to use as needed, then take off.
LARGE: 17 cm length - For all day wear for younger children or for petite wrists.
LARGE 'PLUS A BIT': 18 cm length - For all day wear for youth and average size wrists.
XL: 20.5cm length for the XL - this often the best size for ALL DAY wear for most teens & adults.
XXL: 24cm length -This is suitable for ankles and very large wrist
If wanting to wear it or alter sensory input you can gently over stretch it to increase its size. To do this take your time and very slowly work around ring with both hands putting tension on metal. Needs to be done bit by bit and section by section to create an even stretch. (See video). Over stretching will cause it to loose shape and it will not rebound. Please note once stretched it cannot be unstretched. Thus, not suitable for those that like to pull at things with two hands, like to pull things apart or generally like to test limits of products. Over time the colour may wear/fade, especially if sanitiser/hand creams etc are used.
The finger spikey isn't designed to be twisted back and forth on itself If twisted/rotated it can undo at the join and generally cannot be reconnected. This is not a product fault rather it being used not as intended/within the products limitations.
Please note if wearing the spikey for any period of time that it is important to monitor the skin to ensure it it is not compromising circulation.
Age 3+ (not suitable for under 3’s)
- Includes storage container
- Range of sizes
- Expandable carbon steel metal material.
- The metal is highly durable but can be over stretched if used not in accordance with its typical use by rigorous stretching. It is not meant to be pulled or twisted significantly. They may not suit some that like to pull things apart. It will not recover if over stretched or broken.